Posted By Syncia Chan
A Fruitful Trip to Ghana, Africa
As my first mission trip and first trip to Africa, it has been an eye-opening experience (culturally and spiritually! During the 10 days in Accra, Ghana, we:
- visited several support partners (many faithful brothers and sisters in Ghana are supporting our ministry in Canada! Amazing, isn’it?);
- shared our experience with the ISM leaders at the Legon Interdenominational Church, a church based on the University of Ghana, and equipped them in building an international students ministry locally (I had the opportunity to present the friendship and hospitality program Friends for Dinner);
- attended a service at the Legon Interdenominational Church (Ghanaian style worship was powerful!);
- met many international students and had a gathering with returnees who studied in Canada in the 70’s, 80’s & 90’s (and they are now impacting the world for Jesus Christ!);
- watched the rehearsal of a play directed by a brother who used performance arts to address social issues with a Christ-centered message (I learned a lot about the culture in Ghana, and am specially impressed by their creativity in mission works);
- visited the Wesley Methodist Church and learned about the inspiring life journey of the missionaries who sacrifice their own lives in order to sow the seed of the Gospel in West Africa. Today, the church becomes a vibrant local church (praying that the seeds they sacrificially sowed will continue to multiply and bear fruits).
- had several powerful prayer times;
- studied the book Strengthening the Soul of Your Leadership (as part of the quarterly National team retreat);
- visited the University of Ghana and met with the Dean to discuss opportunities to work together to connect international students to Christian communities.
- gave a presentation about ISMC at ITCONSORTIUM, a Christian IT company who is supporting our mission (very encouraging to see Kingdom-minded business people);
- and finally, we celebrated the 40th birthday of our dear President Yaw (a mentor and brother who greatly impacted me)!
I am very thankful to be part of this fruitful and insightful trip. Please join me to pray for God’s continuous guidance and open doors for ISM in Ghana and in Canada!